August before Senior Year
- Register for the September ACT, if appropriate.
- Come up with a preliminary list of colleges that includes the reach, match and safety schools. Ask Steph for help, if you do not know where to begin.
- Explore the websites of the colleges that interest you to learn about admissions requirements.
- Check your senior year class schedule to make sure you're taking the classes you'll need for your top-choice college and to make sure that you fulfill your graduation requirements.
- Look over the Common Application. Begin thinking about potential topics for your essay.
- If you have the opportunity, visit campuses and speak with college representatives
- Register for October or November SAT and SAT Subject exams.
- Meet with your guidance counselor to discuss the colleges to which you're thinking of applying.
- If you are applying early, request letters of recommendations.
- Continue to visit campuses and speak with college admissions representatives.
- Create a chart of deadlines. Pay particular attention to the early decision/early action and preferred application deadlines.
- Work on your college essay. If you need help brainstorming or editing, contact Steph Lee NOW! The earlier you begin, the better your essay will be.
- Try to assume a leadership position in an extracurricular activity at school.
- Work to strengthen and maintain your school academic record.